G&D Integrated would like to thank all veterans for their service and dedication to our country. At G&D, we fully support providing meaningful employment opportunities for veterans where they comprise 10% of our workforce. Please take time to thank a veteran this week.
10 Interesting Facts about Veterans and Veterans Day
- Veterans Day originated as “Armistice Day” on November 11, 1919, the first anniversary of the end of World War 1.
- Veterans Day became a national holiday beginning in 1938.
- The day pays tribute to all American veterans, living or dead, but especially gives thanks to living veterans who served their country honorably during war or peacetime.
- There are more than 21 million veterans in the United States, which represents about 6.5% of the U.S. population.
- U.S. veterans have served in 12 major wars as well as numerous smaller military conflicts.
- 26 of 44 of our nation’s Presidents have been veterans.
- Out of the 16 million Americans who served in World War II, about 558,000 are still alive.
- Great Britain, France, Australia, and Canada also commemorate the veterans of World War I and World War II on or near November 11th.
- During peacetime, our military forces provide humanitarian aid and disaster relief at home and abroad.
- During Hurricane Katrina, nearly 70,000 troops were involved in the largest relief effort in U.S. history.
If you’d like to learn more about employment opportunities for veterans at G&D Integrated, please visit our careers page at https://gdintegrateprd.wpengine.com/careers/.
About the author: Susan Himes is a Marketing Specialist at G&D Integrated.